Saturday 27 April 2013

Day 67: Toronto!

Waking up in a bed again was amazing.  A nice bed, with warm sheets and the sun warming you.  It was amazing.  I snoozed in bed for a couple hours, waking up and falling back asleep.  The sun, as I mentioned, was up and warm.  I could feel it on my face before I would open my eyes.  It felt like a lazy summer day.  Unfortunately the weather outside was not as warm as I expected and hoped.

I eventually got out of bed and made myself some breakfast.  Delicious cereal with milk (I miss drinking Milk, it is something we really should do more on this trip. But we don't really have a means to refrigeration).  And then fresh blueberries!  Yummy, healthy and delicious! And fruit another thing we should have more of on this trip!

After breakfast we took a little while getting ready, having a shower, and hanging out a little before we headed out into downtown Toronto.  Our first stop of the day was a cupcake place I had found, I was really craving them lately and so I had looked up good one's near by.  This one was called Prairie Girl Cupcake and was not too bad.  I had a chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing and Joel had a lemon cupcake.  Mine was a nice cupcake, really soft and moist, but the icing had a little too much salt in it.  It needed to be a little sweeter, but all in all it was yummy.  Although not sure it was worth the 3.25!  Cupcakes are expensive!

After the cupcake we headed to the St. Lawrence Market where we wondered around for a while, looking at all the food and shops.  It was really cool, they had everything from wine to fresh fish, cupcakes, and sushi.  They also had tourist stores, florists, and lots of jewelry.  I am really starting to like hanging out in markets and definitely plan on finding one near my home when I get back.  It is really fun to go see and smell all the things and people watch! 

After the market we cut across downtown and headed towards the CN Tower.  But before we got there we stopped at a Native American Art Gallery.  Which we spent about 30 min looking around and appreciating all the art.  It was really cool and I definitely wanted to buy lots of it, unfortunately most of it is out of my price range.  Luckily I found a nice print for about 20 dollars, and although I wanted something a little more east coast, it was in fact West Coast Art.  When talking to the lady at the front about it, she told me lots of people do this and most of their West Coast Art ends up getting shipped back to the West Coast!  Guess people like what is around them!

On we went to the CN Tower where we admired the huge building from the bottom.  We thought about going to the top but that costs a whopping 35 dollars per person and we decided that was not worth it!  So we wandered onward towards the waterfront.  Stopping to admire an old train station and then stopping and entering the Steam Whistle Brewery.  I wanted to explore this becasuse I had had their beer the night before!  Funny that we just stumbled onto their brewery.

We eventually did make it to the waterfront where we walked around looking out on the giant lake.  There were lots of people out and the  sun was shining so it was fun to walk around.  And then we found a nice park to sit in for a little and bask in the sun and admire the swans swimming around.  It was really nice to just hang out in the sun, although the wind was a little cold.

When we had finished our walking tour of Toronto we grabbed the car and headed a little farther away to Mount Pleasant Cemetery.  This is where one of my baby brothers is buried.  So Joel and I stopped to look at his grave and bring him flowers.  It was the first time I had been there and it was sad to see so many babies buried, especially one that was directly related to me.  

After an emotional time there we headed back to our house for the night.  There we were welcomed with tea and then homemade wine which Tante Sue had made.  It was quite delicious.  After spending some time talking we eventually got to dinner which was a HUGE steak and salad and asparagus and some potatoes.  Tante Sue and I whipped up and very quick and last minute herb butter for the steak which turned out to be quite nice!  I am definitely going to make that again with some advanced planning.  And then after dinner we were treated to a delicious dessert of blueberry pie and frozen yogurt!  We are definitely getting spoiled here!  Now we are off to bed and tomorrow we head to Niagara Falls!  Can't wait to see them again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment