Tuesday 9 April 2013

Day 49: Welcome Back to Washington

Today we set off from Richmond and the beautiful apartment that my brother was living at and headed up North the the capital of America.  Washington D.C.  Home sweet home.  The drive up was not too bad, we hit a little traffic but nothing major, it was nice to drive around the same places that I knew and loved.  When we first got to Arlington (not really DC today, but same area) we headed to the Courthouse.  I needed to get some background checks from the Work Visa that I will be applying for.  After about twenty minutes there, and of course we parked the car near the courthouse which was conveniently in front of my old house, we headed to the best burger place in the area.

Ray's Hell Burgers is amazing!  They have a new restaurant called Ray's to the Third.  And it was everything I remember and better.  I had a peppercorn burger with guacamole and  cheese.  It was juicy and spicy and delicious.  If you are every in the area, go to eat the best burger you will ever eat....Even president Obama apparently eats these burgers!

After all the delicious food we headed to the Arlington Cemetery for a couple hours.  This was something I had never done yet even though I had lived in the area for three years.  We walked around and looked at what must have been a thousand if not thousands of graves.  It was humbling to see how many there were.  Lots of white crosses, rows upon rows.  We also got to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier, and there were actually three funerals going on while we were there that day.  It was bizarre to think that each day more and more people get added to this cemetery.

After that somber occasion, we headed to my old school.  There I showed Joel around all the old places where I had spent my high school.  We looked in at the gym, where the boys were practicing, the auditorium, where play practice was in session, and we poked around in some of my old classrooms.  It was weird to think that it had been 4 years since I graduated from there, time really does fly.  The seniors this year were kids I had never met, bizarre.

After a blast from the past we headed to my mother's friends house who lives in the area.  She welcomed us with open arms, food, and showers.  It was awesome.  The house they have is georgeous, truly stunning.  And they were so nice about everything.  They also informed us that the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom and we really needed to see it, so after deciding to stay another night, we headed to the table for dinner.  We had dinner outside!  That is how nice it was, and the dinner was once again delicious.

After dinner Joel and I joined our hosts to watch the final college basketball game.  Michigan versus Louisville. Joel ended up going to bed early, but I watched the whole game. And what a great game it was!  Freshman playing amazingly, three back-to-back threes to help tie the game, and both teams played hard till the end!  We also got to watch the game while eating chocolate cake.  An amazing piece (or two) of chocolate cake and tea. What a great night!  And tomorrow we are heading into D.C., can't wait to see it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment