Friday 5 April 2013

Day 45: Lucas time!

Joel and I woke up somewhat early this morning, although definitely not as early as the day before!  We needed to make sure that we headed out before Gretchen left for California.  So around 9 a.m we were packed and ready to go.  Everything was in the car and we headed to Richmond, via Virginia Beach.

Our first stop was the beach.  I was sincerely hoping that we would have a nice day relaxing in the sun, maybe even get some sun tanning?  But nope, not even close.  The weather was cold and windy.  The sun wasn't out and the wind was really chilly!  So we parked the car and walked over to the beach, after poking around the Boardwalk and looking in a couple tourist stores we headed back to the car.  The beach was nice, and we both agreed that it would have been an even better stop sometime in the summer.


After Virginia Beach we hoped in the car and headed North to Richmond, and for the first time in the trip we headed West.  We stopped a couple times on the way, the first time was in Williamsburg.  The town of Williamsburg is very quaint and a very collegiate looking area.  I remember spending some time there when I was considering the University of William and Mary.  And so going there was going back to a familiar area, it seems I am on home turf again!  We drove through it and headed to the Welcome Center as well as the start to Colonial Willamsburg.  And although we didn't actually go to Colonial Willamsburg (it is 40 dollars for a day and I have already been a couple times) it was fun to look around the Welcome Center.

After the Welcome Center, we headed to Jamestown.  This is the sight of the first settlement in America.  It was a couple miles from the Welcome Center and the drive was very beautiful, I can only imagine what it would have looked like when the first people came from Europe.  We drove around the area for a while and stopped to look at some of the museum we didn't do too much in depth because of the costs.  But it was neat to just be there and imagine what it would have been like.  It reminded me a lot of the experience we had at the start of the trip at the Louis and Clark Center.  Just being in areas that have so much history is fascinating!

After Jamestown we headed to Richmond, with a quick stop for food along the way.  We went to TGI Friday which has a deal right now that you can get an entree and an appetizer for 10 dollars! We got so much food and for not too much money!  I had a Jack Daniels Burger, which was covered with a really sweet sauce and was absolutely delicious.

After lunch we finally headed to Lucas' house.  Where I got to scare him by plastering my face against his window until he looked over and jumped!  I laughed quiet hard.  It was nice to catch up with Lucas again and we spent a lot of time talking and chilling.  We made dinner and enjoyed Bourcole (I don't know the spelling of this but it a traditional Dutch meal with potato, kale, and sausages).  It was amazing and is one of my favorite meals!  After dinner Lucas and I played some video games and I got to meet his girlfriend!  She is very nice and I was glad I finally got to meet her.  We then spent some more time relaxing and drinking wine and whiskey. All in all not a bad day.  And tonight we get to sleep on an air mattress, it is going to be hard to get used to sleeping in the car again after all this time with family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment