Thursday 25 April 2013

Day 65: Question Period

This morning we woke up early.  Our couch surfer was heading to school/work at 8 so we needed to head out around the same time!  No problem, we can do that!  Although, getting out of a warm sleeping bag to a dreary day can definitely be hard... But still we succeeded and at about 7 30 we were out the door and headed to our first stop for the day: Chez Cora.

This is a delicious breakfast place that satisfies not only your hunger, but also your desire for fruit and color!  My mother took me here once when I was younger and the bright colors were very happy, for lack of a better word.  (Also when you read young, read 18).  Anyway I convinced Joel we needed to go here and neither of us regretted it!  It was amazingly yummy.  I had a wrap with a pile of fruit next to it and Joel had a HUGE waffles loaded with strawberries, custard, and whipped cream.  It was so massive that even he didn't eat it all!  (This is saying quiet a lot!) 

After breakfast we headed back to the Capital city for round two.  We were told yesterday that Question Period, something I was very interested in seeing was in the morning, therefore we missed it on Tuesday.  I made sure we were there at 9:30 bright and early so we would be sure to see it.  However, when we got there they told us it wasn't until 2!  Which is what I had thought the day before, turns out I was right!  So instead we went on a tour of the Parliament building, which was fun.  Our guide was knowledgeable and although she said um and uh a lot it was still an entertaining tour.  After that we headed to the top of the tower. 

From here you can see a beautiful view of the city, which was pretty cool.  And you can see Quebec, which is right across the water.  The elevator you take up to this is the first slanted elevator in Canada, which was also neat to learn.  From there we headed to the Remembrance Hall, where we were at 11 o'clock for the turning of the pages. Apparently in this room there are 7 books with everyone who has died in service for Canada.  And at 11 o'clock each day they turn the pages of the books so that each name can be read and remembered.  Pretty neat. 

After a nice lunch and some down time, we headed back to Parliament for Question Period.  Like I mentioned early I was very excited for this, mainly because of my interest in politics, more specifically Canadian politics.  So we go there early and waited in line for a while.  But it was worth it!  

When we headed into the House of Commons and sat down we could watch all the proceedings.  Although entertaining to watch, I also knew that this 45 min period is more a show than anything else.  It is not where the real politics happens, and when we watched this was quiet clear.  Lots of clapping and jeering and lots of people repeating answers.  But what struck me the most, was that after watching Obama for so long, Harper seemed very pale in comparison   Not at all a strong leader, more a soft spoken professor.  Definitely not someone who spurs passion in people via his speeches. But it was still fun to watch nonetheless.

After Question Period we headed back to our couch surfer were we talked and hung out.  The further along this trip gets the more tired we seem at the end of the day and a night of relaxing seemed exactly what I needed and what I got.  I think I went to bed at about 9?  Glorious! And tomorrow we head to Toronto and the place that I was born.  

No comments:

Post a Comment