Sunday 14 April 2013

Day 54: Halifax in the Rain

Joel and I woke up early this morning because I was dead set on going to the farmers market in Halifax. So we got up early, and luckily since the snow had turned to rain during the night the roads were snow free! Off we went through the cold rain to downtown Halifax! The city was nice, at least what we could see of it!

We parked the car in a free spot and headed to the brewery where the farmers market was supposed to be. When we got there though it was three vendors and a man playing the fiddle, no exactly what I was expecting! So disappointedly we headed back to the car. We consulted the guide and read that the farmers market had opened a second location not too far from the first. So Joel convinced me we should try it!

And what a success! Apparently this is the oldest farmers market in Canada and it was such fun! We walked around looking at all the food and crafts. I bought a new necklace and then Joel and I shared a pork bun and some sushi. We wondered for about an hour! Then we both grabbed some tea, I had Nova Scotia blueberry and Joel and oh so mango. And then we sat and listened to music ( a harp and then a fiddle) and people watched. We did this for another hour. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning! I could do that every weekend!

After the farmers market we headed to the hill in the middle of the city. This hill has a giant citadel on it, which apparently is one of the most visited historic sights in Canada. When we went it was wet and almost completely deserted. It was really nice to wonder around and look at all the old cannons and imagine what it would have been like in the 1800s. At noon the cannon went off! Which shocked me! I was not ready for it, but apparently Joel knew cause he read about it!

After wondering around some more we headed back to car and back to the Walmart. There was not much more too do with no money in the rain. So we spent the afternoon in the car reading and listening to music.

For dinner though I convinced Joel to go to Montana's one of my favourite restaurants as a child. It is really cool an you can draw on the table cloth with crayon. It was awesome and fun! Then we headed back to the car to snuggle and sleep nice and warm in our sleeping bags! Tomorrow we head north on the Cabot Trail and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment