Wednesday 21 May 2014

The Great Barrier Reef

Today I woke up nice and early to headed down to the Pier for the Great Barrier Reef Adventure.  Check in was at 7:30 AM.  Likely the sun was coming up and it looked like it might be somewhat sunny!
The AMAZING Company I Sailed with 

Look How Amazing the Day Looks!

Cairns From the Ocean

The Boat I Took
Rammy Ram is Ready to Dive!
After two hours of heading out the Reef, and let me tell you some CHOPPY water, we finally arrived to our first destination.  And then it promptly started to rain.  Oh well you can't win everything and there is no way I was sitting this one out!  Not for some measly rain!  So into the water I hoped and discovered a whole world under the water!  Around two hours of snorkeling and I saw thousands of fish, colorful coral,  several sting rays, and a TURTLE!  He was so amazing, I had spent much of the time trying to find one, hoping from reef to reef and eventually I stumbled upon one just chilling in the water.  I followed him for a while, then headed back to the boat for a delicious lunch!

After lunch we headed to the second spot, a place called Paradise Reef.   And I got ready to head out, once again!
Me Getting Ready to Head Out!
The second reef was a cool place because it was out in the Middle of NOWHERE!  And I was the first person in the water, so I swam out and then turned around and realized I was still one of the only ones in the water...  It kinda gave me a sense of what it would be like to be stranded out in the middle of the ocean with no one else around.  Definitely a scary thought!  I quickly focused on the amazing fish under me to make me feel better.  Which gave a me a second really cool thought.  That above water it looked so empty and desolate,  but below the water it was PACKED.  A whole world that you wouldn't have even known about with a snorkeling mask!

After another hour of snorkeling I headed back to the boat for another two hour ride to Cairns.  More choppy seas, but this time I was too tired and satisfied to really care!  Then I headed back to the hostel for mu last night!  And then ANOTHER early morning for my flight out to Alice Springs tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting, and what an amazing snorkeling adventures! The sunshine you have to add in later...

    ReplyDelete