Thursday 22 May 2014

Alice Springs Round One: The Red Center

This morning, with a sad heart and a tired body, I got up early and headed to the airport.  On my way to the airport I caught a shuttle with two guys, one from Toronto and one from the Netherlands.  The guy from Toronto had meet my roommate the day before as they were both throwing up in the rough waters of the Great Barrier Reef.  And the guy from the Netherlands ended up being on my flight to Alice Springs!  Seriously small world!  I still can't believe how many connections I have with the people I have met so far on this trip!

After a nice relaxing flight with only about 10 people on board (Seriously NO ONE) I landed safe and fed in Alice Springs.  With a time change of 1/2 an hour (why not a full hour?  who know!?)  I headed to my new hostel for the night.  Although it was not quite as nice as my hostel in Cairns, it seems like an overall cool place.  Very funky vibe.

After a quick look around and dropping my stuff in the room I headed into town to explore.  Alice Springs is not at all what I expected.  I thought it would be a small town in the middle of the desert.  Not so, it is a small town, but surrounded by amazing landscape, hills and trees, rocks and even some mountain like structures.


Alice Springs Has A Large Aboriginal Populations, Like These Two Guys!

An Amazing View from the Top of Anzac Lookout! Definitely More Mountainous then I Expected!

Another Beautiful View!


Monument at the Top of Anzac Hill

So Many Colours!

Rammy Ram Also Made It To the Top

After the small hike I headed to town to take a look around.  It was full of Aboriginal Museums and Galleries and several Western stores.  I saw Cowboy Boots and Belt Buckles!  It felt like being in Calgary again.  I grabbed some dinner and headed to the hostel for a nice night in.  Although by the time I got back a lightning storm had rolled in and that was fun to watch as well! But I do need to leave tomorrow at 6 am so it is going to be an early night tonight! Wish me luck on my adventures in the Outback and Uluru!

1 comment:

  1. I admire Rammy Ram, he is a brave companion! Hope you are having a blast in the Outback. Must have been fun to speak a bit of Dutch again..

    ReplyDelete