Tuesday 27 May 2014

Mulga's Tour (Day 4 and 5) Alice Springs to Darwin!

I woke up early again this morning (I am feeling like this is a trend) and jumped into the bus.  This, although part of the tour I booked, was a separate tour with a new bus, new people, and a new tour guide.  Luckily some of the people from my last group were in this one as well so it wasn't starting completely again!  But today promised to be a LONG day as we were driving around 900km!  And tomorrow was about 600KM.  Lots of bus time!

I mainly slept throughout the day but we did have a couple stops along the way.  Our first stop was Wycliffe Wells, a gas station/ RV Park that is famous for aliens landings.  Lots of random things at this stop!  There was an article hanging on the wall that claimed that aliens had landed on Uluru and had created humans there.  And that was how humanity came to be.  And the aliens kept coming back near Uluru to check up on their creation....Pretty wacky stuff!
Welcome to the UFO Centre of Australia!

Rammy Ram Made Some New Friends!

After meeting and learning all about aliens we headed to the Devil's Marbles.  This was a really cool (Read ONLY cool) stop that we had on our way to our beds that night.  Lots of rocks in really weird positions.  Something about erosion and rain made them that way.  Can't remember as I was probably sleeping when he explained it ( I did this A LOT on the bus!)
WOW Rocks!

This Tour Was ALL About Rocks....

Ooops....Broke this one....

After the Devil's Marbles we didn't really stop till we got to our nice motel for the night.  A place called Daly Waters Pub.  This was a country oasis in the middle of nowhere.  The pub was EXPENSIVE, apparently the most expensive beer in Australia, but totally worth it as you bought a beer, went to sit outside on the patio and listened to some old country musician twanging away on his guitar.  Pretty much heaven for me!
After a BBQ dinner I went to bed, because shocker, tomorrow was going to be another early morning!

Another 5:30 am wake up and into the bus!  This was it though, final day on the bus and more importantly final day in Australia!  Crazy, 7 or so months and I was finally at the end of it!  I had to make sure I made the most of it!

We started the day by stopping at a hot springs, after driving for a couple hours and finally watching the sun come up!
Our Natural Oasis for the Morning!
After the hot springs we hopped back into the car and drove for a couple more hours.  Watching the outback turn into more of a rain forest.  Around noon we stopped at Catherine which is the third largest city in the Northern Territories (read not that big) for lunch.  Here I loaded up on important nutritional snacks for the night (I was planning on staying in the airport for the night!).  After that we hopped back in the bus and headed to our last stop.  A beautiful waterfall for an afternoon dip.
Swimming in this Water was AMAZING!

Our Last Stop in Australia!
What a great way to spend the last day!  After our nice cooling dip, back in the bus we went.  Four more hours and we were in Darwin.  On our way though we had to go through a bush fire, which turned the sky black and the sun red!  It was pretty crazy driving down the Aussie Highway and being surrounded by fire on both sides!  But luckily we made it through safe and sound! 

After arriving in Darwin we all headed to dinner for some well deserved beers and steak!  My new friends won some free pitchers of beer, which they were more than willing to share!  At around 11 pm  I caught the shuttle to the airport, my flight was at 7am so I thought it would be a great way to save some money!  I was well stocked with movies, internet, and lots of food and Cola.  Little did I know when I arrived I would run into a friend from the first part of this trip who was also staying the night.  We ended up talking till about 2 30 am and then taking a quick nap.  Now it's off to Singapore and my Asia adventure!  Best of Luck Australia it's been a BLAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment